Pages

Monday 2 December 2013

Sketchavember 2013 - Part 1












I did Sketchavember this year as well, although being tired from Inktober the first few pictures didn't come out very well. Originally I was just trying to do pictures I'd be happy for people to see, but it became clear that a theme really helps me, so I added a fantasy theme about 7 days in and stuck with pencil for the rest of the month.

Day 1 - Larkspur, in pencil. This one actually came out fine, lulling me into a false sense of security.

Day 2 - Isaac, in biro. I seem to hardly ever draw in biro any more, so I tried again and it seemed to turn out okay.

Day 3 - I tried to draw the Mirror Twins in my normal style, rather than 'dolly' style, and they came out looking creepier than usual.

Day 4 - Getting tired, I drew Sweetpea, as he was the first thing that leapt to mind.

Day 5 - Oh dear, here's where it all started breaking down. In biro again, I was trying to draw the black fire that Nat liked to conjure as a teenager, but in terms of quality it looks like a drawing from when I was a teenager! (In hindsight this one doesn't meet the criteria of 'a picture I'm happy for people to see', but I couldn't have done a better one in that state anyway.)

Day 6 - Still valiantly pressing on, we have an attempt to do something different that really backfired. I was really burnt out and I don't think I was capable of doing anything better at this point.

Day 7 - A drawing of my hands in gel pen, because I noticed a lot of tiny cuts on them. This was where I decided I really wasn't happy with how Sketchavember was going and had a big think about how to continue. Fun fact, the pencil under-drawing for one of these had to be drawn with the wrong hand, because I wanted to do both from observation.

Day 8 - Here's where the fantasy theme starts, and I immediately did better work with that restriction in place. I drew Shasta in pencil, and decided to continue in pencil for the rest of the challenge.

Day 9 - The Crow Boy, in a new sketchbook which also helped. I think he's one of the best pictures in the whole month.

Day 10 - Working on re-designing Fret, so he fits better in his forest. If he's the same species as Larkspur, he should change to look like his environment.

Part 2   Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment