Pages

Thursday 21 November 2013

Inktober - Part 1











This year I found myself with just enough free time to do Inktober (producing one ink drawing a day for the month of October) and I really enjoyed it. I mostly did these in the evening, and it was great to take the time to sit down and draw a proper finished picture without it being for a job or a long-term project. I also tried some ink techniques that I haven't used before.

I posted these daily on tumblr, but here I thought I'd put them up in large sets.

Day 1 (mapping pen) - Nettle and Spider, with Nettle showing off her psychokinesis. Spider is horribly off model and I felt very bad about that.

Day 2 (mapping pen and ink wash) - Nat with his dangerous shadow. I re-did this one in colour for one of this year's postcards.

Day 3 (ink and water) - Sweetpea! He's sitting on Louise's hand, although you can't really tell unless you've paid close attention to her clothes. This technique always has the potential to go horribly wrong, but I think this is one of the best pictures from the whole month.

Day 4 (brush inking) - Brush inking is something I'm not experienced with, so I tried it on Tabitha because she's a very simple shape. It was clear I needed more practice.

Day 5 (mapping pen) - I felt so bad about Spider being off-model in the first picture that I drew a portrait of him for this one, then added Nettle for good measure. I also discovered I have no purple ink and had to mix some.

Day 6 (gel pen) - Louise skulking around her creepy house. At this point I'd thought I haven't done any cross-hatching yet, and I should draw more backgrounds, and didn't realise I'd just decided to do a full hatched illustration at 9:30 at night until I'd already started and was trapped! I got to bed quite late that night.

Day 7 (brush pen, gel pen and water) - This one is what a colleague of mine thinks I do when I'm not at work. I've used this scribbly system for concept art in the past, I don't think I'll ever like it for finished pieces.

Day 8 (brush pen) - Violet wants to know how Meruch got the 'lightning flower' on his side. This is another one of my favourites, I very rarely use my kuretake brush pen for line work even though I love it very much (I tend to use it for filling in black areas) and I'm very leased with how the lines came out.

Day 9 (mapping pen) - This one I doodled up while on the phone to my sister late at night. I often feel differently about pictures I draw when I would usually be sleeping, compared to ones I draw in the day. They seem to... come out more easily?

Day 10 (brush inking and ink wash) - This one was an experiment that went a little wrong, but I'm new to both brush inking and ink wash so it's all good practice.

Part 2  Part 3

No comments:

Post a Comment